Favorite Things Friday - Parachute

I have a secret shame.

Are you ready?

((((I love parachute days at work!))))

There. I've said it for all the world to read. I love the parachute. I always have and probably always will. It is something that I love to play with and to use during therapy. Unfortunately, it is something that I reserve for days when I am gone rather than use all the time during therapy. My justification? My paraprofessionals that accompany kids to music therapy can use the parachute without me. Sniff!

Why do I love the parachute so much?

I think it stems from being recruited as staff for a sports-themed Girl Scout camp several years in a row. Now, if you know me, you know that one of the words that just does NOT come to mind when you think of me is "sporty!" In fact, I am about as non-"Sporty" as it is possible to be. Much of this is due to a balance disorder and the rest comes from not liking to fall down very much. But, the camp director was a good friend of my mother and she needed trained camp staff, so off I went to sports camp (not just once, but several times over the years!!). I was always running things like archery, foot races, and, you guessed it, the parachute! I was able to incorporate music into parachute activities (we sang mostly because sports camp was outside, away from electrical outlets), and I learned or made up lots of parachute games. So, I blame Marilyn for my parachute attraction.

This parachute attraction continues, many years after camp.

My favorite game?

This requires a large group and a large parachute. Everyone sits on the ground in a tailor sit (criss-cross) position. One person goes under the parachute, and another person takes of their shoes and climbs on top of the parachute. The parachute participants shake the parachute while the person on top tries to find the person underneath. The person underneath has to evade the person on top. Switch people each time someone gets "caught." If you are one of the parachute peeps, your arms get really tired, but it is a fun game to play.

My current room does not allow for a large parachute. Sniff. I have a 12' and two 6' parachutes that I can use every so often, but it isn't quite the same. That's probably why I don't use my parachutes during therapy as much as I would love to!

((I also think that some of the motivation may be to convert new folks to the parachute fold!))

Hee, hee!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA