A Steep Learning Curve

One of the things that I really wish I had been forced to learn about during my education is business basics. We were not allowed to take classes on business management or basics - they were reserved for business majors - but it seems that a course or two on business theories would be extremely beneficial to us all, even if we don't seem to want to run our own businesses at the beginning of our careers.

The reason this is coming up right now is that I am knee-deep in trying to figure out how to be a treasurer for an almost-formed not-for-profit organization of music therapy. Over the past several years, I've been faking it, but now I have to start doing this for real!

There will be bookkeeping programs, taxes to file, accountants... I am freaking out!

I am thinking that most of us kind of stumble into business methods via trial and error. My advice? Get an attorney and an accountant to help you out! We can't know all things, so we need to ask the experts to help us.

My panic is starting to build here, but I know that the professionals that we have helping us through this process will be helpful. I am just going to have to start learning things quickly. I am hoping that the learning process will be easy and logical... but, the IRS will be involved, so...

Learning is good for the body and brain, so this experience will make me a better music therapy professional. I will know how to do things that I have wanted to learn about for a long time. This will help me progress in my own career goals and make me ready to move onto the next phase of music therapy existence. There you go...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA