Favorite Things Friday - My Music Therapy Friends Out There

When I really make an effort to sit down and count them, I realize that I have many, MANY music therapy friends and acquaintances out there in the world. These men and women continuously celebrate, challenge, criticize, and support me in my music therapy life.

Before the advent of social media (yes, children, I am THAT old!), it was difficult to make music therapy friends unless you were geographically close to them or met them at conferences. Now, in this age of faster-than-light communication, I can interact with music therapy people from everywhere! This is both good and not so good, but we're going to focus on the good part here in this blog post...

One of the things that I relish about my music therapy friends is the opportunity to understand different practice areas and theoretical constructs. I can see music therapy through their eyes and through their training. Every interaction widens my view of what music therapy is and can be.

Something else that makes me value my music therapy friends is that we're all in this together - the music therapy day-to-day. There is no one who understands the challenges of constantly explaining what you do better than someone who does the same thing - over and over again. We understand the joy that happens when a client starts to interact with the music in a way that leads them towards their treatment goals. We understand the need for creativity and figuring out how to engage our clients in effective treatment. We can talk about it, celebrate with each other, and commiserate as well.

We are becoming a more cohesive group of professionals, in my opinion, than ever before.

I know, as well, that my music therapy friends enrich my life on a daily basis, even when we are far away from one another!

Thank you, friend! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA