40 Degree Swings

There's an interesting phenomenon happening right now in my area of this world. We are having daily temperature variations of 40 degrees. The day starts off hovering around the freezing mark and gets warmer until the temperature is similar to that of Spring. Today it's currently 33 degrees Fahrenheit and is supposed to be about 72 degrees Fahrenheit this afternoon. It's the type of day where you need to open up the windows and blow the winter out of your house. So, that's what I'm going to do.

(I'm also going to go to the doctor to get my annual antibiotic for my seasonal bronchitis, but that's typical for this time of year as well.)

The weather swings are wreaking havoc with my allergies, bacteria, and general ability to do my job. There are robins frolicking in the trees (a sign of Spring?? I'm thinking the worst of this winter is yet to come). Insects are coming back with a vengeance - we need the freezing winter to help cull the numbers of bugs - it really hasn't happened yet. We haven't had any snow days yet. Not really unusual, but I would love to have three snow days this year. The weather is having an effect on my students as well.

We have entered the time when my kids start to realize that they haven't been able to spend lots of time outside in the sunshine, fresh air, and open area. They start to get restless, and the staff members get just as restless. These days are wonderful for all of us, because we can go outside just to soak in the wonderful mild temperatures, but we start off with a cold, gloomy day. We dress for the cold and end up in the warm. We still have to lug our coats around because we will definitely need them in the morning. The change in the temperature often has barometric changes associated as well, and I think we all feel changes in the air pressure.

So, what's a music therapist to do?

Originally, I thought I would have kids throw balls at drums. Then, I changed my mind. Then, I changed it back. Monday and half of Tuesday was spent in a cacophony of sound - we did a Big Instrument Round Robin. Everyone had a chance to play one of the big instruments. It was loud. It was chaotic. Kids loved it! Yesterday afternoon, however, I hit my wall of exhaustion and sound tolerance level. So, I changed back to my original idea. That is what kids will do today without me. Basically, we place all of the big drums on the ground and then throw Splashballs at the drums. We turn on some music and go. It's also noisy, chaotic, and loud, but it offers an opportunity for us to use some of our excess energy in a way that still works on musical expression and work on our impulse control. That's what we'll do for the rest of the week.

We'll find a way to express ourselves through movement and music. We'll find a balance between the shifting temperatures and uncertain weather patterns that happen lots here in January. If one thing doesn't do it, we'll swing to another thing. 
Meanwhile, Bella has decided that she needs to directly supervise the writing of this post. Here she is!

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA