Sing A Song Sunday - Movin Day

Today's song is on page 88 of Rise Up Singing. It is part of the "Good Times" section which makes me laugh just a bit since the words aren't particularly happy but the musical presentation is very happy - lilting and skipping and all. Here is a link to Charlie Poole playing the song - it does get to the words eventually. Here's the link to the melody line.

www.musictherapyworks.com
Just another chart about the therapeutic elements of music...


I like this little song. It has a melody that just lilts along. I could have used it quite a bit over the past 17 months of moving from here to there. As I listened to the song this morning, what struck me was that, even though they are getting kicked out of their living quarters, the singer is pretty happy. That started me wondering, "Has this happened to them before?"

I know a person who refuses to own more than she can cram into her car. I wish I could be like that, but I cannot. Movin' Day for me takes a couple of months to accomplish - going through things, packing other things, and deciding what to give away. It's a production and never as happy as this song presents it to be.

I know that some of my clients have been through situations like the one presented in the song. I would use this song carefully with my kids, not wanting to bring up sensitive topics unless we are all prepared to handle the feelings in and out of music therapy. But, I can see a place for the melody and the song itself - maybe with different words to make the song less of a reminiscence song and more of a celebration or process song.

Now, for me, the challenge has been to get comfortable enough with the songs that I analyze here in my music therapy clinic. As of yet, I haven't really used many of the songs that I have analyzed in my clinic. This seems like a good goal for this next month, and something I can work on while I'm celebrating Thanksgiving this week. If you are looking for some different songs to use with your clients, check out the Sing About Sunday tag in the list on the left. There are many songs there that have a myriad of clinical uses. As for me, I think I'll work on this one first.

Have a wonderful week! 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA