Sing A Song Sunday - Haul Away Joe

Good morning, everyone! I had fun with this one - it's in the Dorian mode. (Have I ever mentioned how much I LOVE modes? If not, I REALLY LOVE modes!!) It is wonderful when you find something that you love in a state of serendipity, don't you think?

Anyway - here is the song. On page 202 of Rise Up Singing... Haul Away Joe.

It's a sea shanty from the English tradition and has a very strong macrobeat feel that allows for entrainment for all types of outcomes. I don't really like most of the lyrics - they are a bit salty - so would change the words to use the song in my music therapy space. This would be a great song for lyric substitution or piggybacking. I could certainly see myself using this as a gait training song or as a gross motor beat exercise...

Sheet music can be found here. Chords and verses also are here. And here. A YouTube video is located here. And, here's the song chart...
Dorian mode!! Hooray. Now, off to find something in Lochrian (maybe my favorite, though I do love saying Phrygian...).

Happy singing, all!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA