Sing A Song Sunday - Djankoye

Whew. This week's song was an interesting step into part of another culture as well as into some confusion for me. This song was located in the Farm & Prairie section of Rise Up Singing (page 50, if you are interested). It is a traditional Soviet-Yiddish folk song and includes some names of Ukrainian cities (Sevastopol and Simfereopol) located on the Crimean peninsula. One of the presentations listed below identifies this song as a Klezmer song.

For me, the song doesn't seem so difficult - the melody is pretty simple and repetitive - but the language would be extremely difficult. I was unable to find an example of the sheet music for this song, but there are recordings on YouTube. Here is a scratchy one that features Pete Seeger, and another one that is completely in Yiddish. Here is the graphic for this song...
musictherapyworks.com

 I have to admit that this is a type of music that I am unfamiliar with, other than listening to it occasionally. There aren't too many opportunities for this music therapist, stuck in the Midwestern portion of the United States to listen to, work on, and use this form of music, but it intrigues me.

Time to go and work on my musical dictation skills to see if I can figure out the melody line...

Happy Sunday, all!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA