Favorite Things Friday - AMTA National Conference - Top 10

Today's favorite thing is also something that stresses me out at this time of year - less than 2 weeks until the AMTA annual national conference. This year's excitement and stress is happening just on schedule, and I am in the throes of dreams, trying to figure out what I want to say to folks, and stressing that I am going to miss some of the meetings that I'm supposed to attend. Here are my top ten reasons for attending the AMTA national conference every year:

10. Time Away From Work - It is really nice to spend some dedicated time away from my clients and from the other stressors at work. I am often so busy that I don't even think about work - it's a nice change of pace.
9. Networking - I find it very interesting to meet new music therapists, and conference is the time when I personally meet people I already know from other places. I don't often meet my social media contacts (since they live around the world) in person, but there is a greater possibility of breathing the same air at AMTA.
8. Concurrent Sessions - This part of the conference has slipped down and down and down during the years. This is primarily due to the fact that I don't get to attend many concurrent sessions these days. Meetings take up most of my time. I try to attend as many as I can. I love hearing about what other therapists are doing in their clinical areas.
7. Travel - I can't lie, I use this as a mini-vacation from the things that happen at work and in the holiday season. This year, I am driving to and from, so I am looking forward to time in the car to practice my CMTEs, to sing, and to explore a part of the country that I haven't driven through on my own before.
6. Continuing Education - Attending conference is one of the easiest ways I get continuing education credits. Five for attending and more through umbrella groupings - it's a deal! In addition, I'm giving two CMTE courses, so I get more credits for presenting!! Hooray!
5. Hotels - You know, I first felt really grown up the first time I checked into a hotel room on my own. There is something about living in a hotel room that makes the entire time feel like a vacation. Also, having a hotel room in the conference hotel gives me an oasis to escape to when all the people and noise and other things happening start to wear on me - introvert, ya know.
4. Exhibit Hall - I try to get something completely new from the exhibit hall every year. I enjoy walking around and looking at what various exhibitors have to offer. I roam that area several times during the week trying to figure out what I want to purchase for my students. Lots of time it's things like books, but I've found some ginormous triangles for only 2 dollars each and squeaky horses that my students absolutely love! Go to the exhibit hall, people!
3. Committees and Boards - I enjoy working for AMTA as a volunteer in several roles. I like being on the Association Internship Approval Committee and a member of the Education and Training Advisory Board. I don't like that I have to pay to go to conference and then spend most of the conference time in meetings, but I do like helping my professional association work.
2. Being Around Like-Minded People - You know what it's like. If you're anything like me, you spend much of your time around people who have very little awareness of what you actually do on a daily basis. It is refreshing to spend time around people who not only "get it" but who also live the life. I don't have to explain music therapy to the people I see. They are already music therapists, so they know what it is. I can focus on the great stuff... 
1. Friends - I can't lie, I do like other aspects of the conference, but the best part of conference is seeing my music therapy friends.

So, while I am stressed that I'm not going to get my presentations completely letter perfect, that I will crash in exhaustion on Thursday afternoon halfway through my second CMTE course, that I'll have to speak in front of the Assembly of Delegates and will stutter, I am also getting excited to go and be at the AMTA conference.

I will see you soon! Please say hi!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA