Favorite Thing Friday - There Will Always Be Chocolate

There's a bit more than chocolate in this version of the jar!
It is Friday, so I get to post about one of my favorite things, and today's post is about the ONLY promise that I make to my interns. 

"There will always be chocolate."

I have found, over the years, that I am not always the most patient of supervisors, therapists, or people, but I can always make sure that the chocolate jar is full of chocolate.

Are you one of those people who just can't figure out why chocolate is necessary for life? If you are, just leave this post now, because I can't really explain it beyond the idea of the strength of primary reinforcement. There are just times when a familiar taste is needed to ease stress or to celebrate a significant moment. Hence the chocolate jar!

I have some rules for my chocolate jar. First, no cross-contamination of flavors. Peanut butter and mint chocolate cannot be contained in the same jar as the caramel and plain chocolate. I have separate jars for those types of flavors. Second, the jar is fair game anytime clients aren't around. We have to respect their dietary needs, so we don't spend time eating in front of them, but any other time is an appropriate time for chocolate. Third, it is my job to obtain the chocolate - interns do not need to be paying for their chocolate! I just have to know what to get. Over the years, we've had jellybeans, M&Ms, Twix bars, Reeses, and any number of taste combinations and flavors. The configuration changes with each new intern. It's a subtle tradition, but one that is very important to me.

The current taste configuration? Reeses (in a separate drawer), Twix, and KitKat bars.

There will always be chocolate...
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA