What's Your Favorite Song?"

I really do not like when I'm asked to name a favorite something or other. It may sound strange, but I often am stumped by the question, "what's your favorite song?" I don't have just one. I have thousands!

My favorite song changes depending on my mood, the time of day, the purpose behind it, whether or not I'm hungry or tired or bored, and many other situational events. 

Since it is so difficult for me to name just one song, I avoid asking my verbal clients to name only one as well. I ask my clients to name several songs that they like or I ask them to choose one type of music as their favorite type of music. After that, I let them scroll through the iPod and all of my music to see if there is something else that they like but haven't thought of the particulars. It amazes me how many of my students state that they like to listen to rap and ONLY rap but know all of the words to every country song that I own.

I have long wondered if there is a physical reason why we like specific songs or types of songs. So, like any good graduate student, I did a research project that showed little to no correlation between our favorite songs and our heart rates or respiratory rates. So, that's not the reason we like particular preferences, but that's okay. I have no other ideas about why we like our particular favorites, but I'm okay with that.

It is time to listen to some music.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA