Getting Into the Mundane

One of the best things about a long Summer Break is getting really and truly bored with being carefree and away from my professional responsibilities. It is wonderful to have time away, but I always realize that I do love being a music therapist and that I enjoy time with my clients. It often takes a long period of time for me to get to the point of being really and truly bored with time off. It has been seven days, and I am getting to that point. I still have eleven days to go, so I am trying to pace myself.

I am clearing things out of my house. This is a difficult process for me as I tend towards being a packrat and love having all of my stuff around me. At this point right now, I am staring at boxes of stuff that I have moved from the craft room into the front room in an attempt to sort through things and move stuff out of my living space. The stuff in those boxes are not really necessary to my everyday life, so it has to go!

Easier said than done.

I did throw out a bag of pens and pencils without even looking closely to it. Now I am second-guessing myself. Should I have opened the bag? Looked at what was inside? It's too late. The bag is gone.

Oh dear.

Does anyone need some plastic storage containers? I have many. Of course, you could buy your own or repurpose the ones you already have around you (which I'm doing). 

There is something comforting in waking up everyday to an empty span of time. There is nothing that I have to do today. (There is something that I have to do tomorrow, but that's a whole other story.) I can take a nap, if I want. I can revel in the mundane tasks of vacuuming, cleaning the tub, or washing dishes. I can go for a walk or go out to eat. I have no limits, expectations, or requirements.

I really miss my work routine, but I am glad that I have the chance to be out of the routine. I find that I enjoy the things that happen at work so much more when I have been away from them. There you go.
 
Eleven more days of Summer Break.

In twelve days, I'll return to my job a happier, healthier, and refreshed music therapist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA