Fun Stuff!

  
I love making things for my clients to use during music therapy sessions. I enjoy being able to create something from paper, scrapbooking supplies, and a bit of imagination. This is one of my favorite ways to spend my free time.

Yesterday, I spent some time making a set of file folder activities that my clients seem to use more than any other at my facility. This picture is a scheduler - a way to organize what clients want to do during the session. This one has words, some do not since not all of my clients are readers. If needed (I use this most often with clients who do not complete ANY entire experience but who flit from place to place during their sessions), the client chooses 3-6 things to do during the session. We move through the schedule and move our choices from the first pocket to the "finished" pocket. If I need to, I limit the choices that are available so my client has to complete the tasks that I want them to address. The laminated pockets also have a place for me to write on them using a dry erase marker. So, we can choose the "Karaoke Machine" strip and write "Call Me Maybe" on the pocket so we can see which song we will sing while karaoke-ing.

The other folders pictured here are fill-in-the-blank, composition, and song-based folders - things that I use with clients in varying ways. The yellow ones (in this picture) are the fill-in-the-blank songs. Songs in the public domain lend themselves to these types of songs. The primary goals for these songs are review of parts of speech, creativity, and just plain old absurdity. 
The pink folder (again, in this picture) will eventually be joined by two others. This one is for rhythm reading. It comes with instrument pictures and rhythm cards. The other two folders are composition-based and rhythm identification matching. The last folders, the green ones (only one is pictured here), are songs, again from the public domain, that come along with original visual aids. One has monkeys, one has spaghetti, and the other is a structured movement board.

The last part of this packet includes five mini-folders. Here is a picture of one folder next to the big folders. The mini-folders include a schedule board (shown here), matching, and composition folders.

The entire packet has 15 folders - 10 large folders and 5 mini-folders. I have used all of these visuals with my clients in several different ways during my time at my facility. They are useful for my students. I think they'd by useful for others as well. So, I am going to give one of these sets away. In addition to these folders, I'm going to also throw in a copy of a book I've written about Therapeutic Music Experiences for adolescents.
Please check out the website home page at www.musictherapyworks.com for details on how to sign-up for this giveaway! I will draw the name of the winner on June 30, 2014.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA