Roaming Around the Music Collection

I am sitting in front of the computer today (on my day off, I might add) adding music to my digital library. This seems to be a never-ending process since when I rip music, it tends to disappear from the computer for various and sundry reasons - I don't know why, but it does! Right now, I have the excuse of having a new computer with oodles of storage, so I am going through my CDs and am adding music to my iTunes library.

Like everything else in my life, I have my own form of organization for my music collection. Several years ago, I decided to eliminate all of the plastic CD cases from my life. I placed all of my CDs into large books. All of a sudden, I had some space in my music area again! (It has since been filled up, but there was space for some time!!)

So, I have a book full of Holiday music, two for Soundtracks, one for Country, one for Popular music forms, and a miscellaneous book as well. They are large books - some are canvas, some are pleather, but they are functional for what I need at this point right now.

In addition to the CD books, I have a couple of cases of cassette tapes (music that I simply CANNOT find in CD form and CANNOT seem to let go of right now), and about 50 records (with FUNCTIONING record player)! That is the extent of my recorded music collection. We will NOT explore the printed sheet music during this post.

I enjoy looking over my music every so often. I can often remember who wanted specific songs during my professional career. I remember the days of N'Sync and the Backstreet Boys. I remember the student who really liked the stories of Dr. Seuss. I remember why I bought music from movies that I loved and continue to love.

I don't often listen to music outside of the music therapy clinic, but when I do, I use nostalgia to guide my listening. I have always loved making compilation tapes, CDs, and playlists of my current favorite music. It is something that I will probably always do.

Right now, I am ripping my Dr. Seuss CDs onto my digital storage device. Next up? Animal songs from the Dollar Tree and Disney Karaoke discs. That makes me happy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA