Music? Bah, Humbug!

I am a Christmas music Scrooge. I am the type of person who avoids all stores from the period after Halloween to the post-Christmas sales simply due to the constant and pervasive repetition of hymns, carols, and songs that permeate my every conscious second. I cannot ignore the music that is played, and it bothers me.

Most of my friends don't understand this aversion that I have to singing the same old songs over and over and over again. They love listening to the "all Christmas, all the time" radio stations that pop up around here. I have to escape and retreat into silence.

Lately, I have noticed that others (in my social media life, so mostly music therapists) are starting to post about their own aversions to the music of this season. I have been relieved to know that I am not the only Christmas music Scrooge out there.

In my therapy sessions, I find myself waiting until the very last possible moment to bring in the Santa-themed songs and the Christmas music. I try to remind the people around me that not everyone has happy memories associated with the holiday season or the music. We do non-holiday therapeutic music experiences (TMEs) as much as possible.

I was listening to NPR's Morning Edition yesterday and heard a discussion about holiday music that emphasizes the ways people hear and perceive the music. The people speaking chose some familiar songs with a good emphasis on the melancholy songs of the season - "I'll Be Home for Christmas," "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," and others, AND they picked some snarky songs as well. I have to admit that I liked the snarky songs better than the familiar ones! I have a new snarky music duo to follow - Garfunkel and Oates. Their song, "Christmas Letter," completely cracked me up!

I am now on Winter break and am enjoying the silence and occasional holiday music, chosen by me and appreciated by few other people. This enforced boycott of all things holiday music-themed will help me get more into the spirit of the holiday that I will celebrate on December 24th. For me, singing "Silent Night" on Christmas Eve is so much more meaningful to me as a person and as a believer than if I have been singing it daily.

I'm turning off the radio.

Feel free to enjoy the sounds of the season however you wish...

Comments

  1. Sister, you are NOT alone on this one! I am convinced retail has ruined Christmas music for a good many of us. Grumble, grumble, kvetch...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA