A Gift to Music Therapy

It is almost time for the dreaded registration fees to come around again. Now, I have never felt that membership in AMTA was an option. This may have been influenced by my mother and her insistence that she always be a member of AOTA (the American Occupational Therapy Association) even when she was not actively practicing, and this was definitely influenced by my first round of professors. AMTA membership was not an option!

Due to those two reasons, I always re-up my membership around the first of the year.

It is time to do so again, so I'm going to my banking site and will be sending out the first payment towards this new membership year. Like I said, this isn't an option for me.

Do you know what I've noticed over my many years of being a music therapy association member? AMTA does lots and lots for each and every one of us, even when we are not physically involved in a situation. Also, when you are physically involved in a situation, the folks at AMTA will drop what they are doing and will help at a moment's notice! This is WELL worth my membership fees alone, but there is more.

Did you know that AMTA has legal counsel to represent us in copyright discussions? Or proprietary suits? Or even to consult regarding changes in internships? I do. There have been times when I've had to refer situations to AMTA in order to have a legal opinion rather than the opinion of me, one music therapist out in the middle of nowhere, USA.

Did you know that AMTA talks directly to members of Congress about situations and legislation that may affect music therapists and music therapy clients? We weigh in on discussions about mental health parity, changes in IDEA and education, medicare reimbursement, and countless other issues that affect all music therapists attempting to bring music therapy to any and all clients (and get paid to do so!).

As music therapy is becoming more of a household name, AMTA is out there working to make sure that it is not a flash in the pan, but is truthfully represented to the world. All of these reasons and more are why I am a proud member of AMTA.

Off to write my check!

Will you join me (if you haven't already, of course!!)? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA