An Introvert at AMTA

It is almost time for the AMTA National Conference - a time of great fun, friends, and an utter switch in how I spend my life. I'm an introvert. I like to spend time by myself and need alone time to relax and re-energize. Alone time is a scarce commodity at the conference.

I am getting myself ready for this next week by making my plans.
  1. Scheduling one to one meetings at various times
  2. Opting out of some social events in favor of sleeping or just sitting in my room for relaxing and thinking
  3. Planning my time carefully
  4. Taking my art journal for on-the-spot relaxation
It's not a fool-proof plan, but I am hoping it works for me.

I will be the person who is finding a place to sit so I can watch others socialize. If you are also an introvert, look for me on the fringes of the exhibit spectacular and sitting just outside interesting presentations (not inside since I have to leave during most of them for one meeting or another...). Please talk to me since I probably won't initiate a conversation with you. Be prepared to write down your information since I usually cannot remember people on day one of the conference (since my conference starts two full days before the presentations). I am already fried once the opening session comes along.

Things I am looking forward to:
  • seeing my friends
  • meeting internship directors and supervising music therapists
  • talking to prospective interns
  • meeting with committee and board members
  • thinking deep thoughts about music therapy and the future of our profession
  • talking to people about my passion for music therapy
  • seeing another part of Florida
  • late night laughter with my roommate
  • hopefully learning or buying something new for my clients
  • getting back home to the cat 
There you go. Lots of things that will affect how I interact with others, but also lots of things that I cannot wait to experience! I hope to see you there!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA