Getting Back Into the Groove

School starts with its usual rigamarole on Friday, so I am trying to get back into the pattern of being a school therapist. I am not quite there yet, but I am trying.

There aren't many things that I can do right now to prepare for school. Everything is up in the air and is due to change as soon as I walk into the building on Friday. The entire facility is doing things differently this year as we go through an entire school renovation. Classrooms are scattered around two different locations, all support services (including music therapy) are now cart-based rather than being room-based, and the schedule for individual sessions is null and void. Sheesh. Now we have an entire year to try things in ways we have never tried them before.

There is a gaggle of people who are convinced that this entire year will be a horrible experience. They are not interested in solving problems - they feel more comfortable wallowing in how horrible things are and will be this year. When asked to meetings to develop team schedules, they just throw out comments about how the entire year will be just plain full of despair, doom, and gloom. You ask them if they want to see a group of kids on Tuesdays, and they respond that it really doesn't matter since the entire year is going to be horrible.

I am experienced enough to know that I cannot be around these particular people right now or I will be sucked into the abyss. So, I am choosing to embrace this new situation through seeing the challenges as exciting rather than depressing. This point of view requires me to be positive, and so I shall!

I am getting ready to learn how to do my job as an itinerant therapist (again). I am going to try to chronicle some of the new skills, ideas, and challenges that come my way during this year. I am also going to savor the fact that I will have a separate office for the first time in my tenure here. I am going to have to develop new TMEs to use with my clients since I will have to plan more formally than in times past. My intern training will also change a bit as I will change during this year. This year will be challenging, but well worth the time and effort!

Time to gather my new visual aids and get ready to go. Back to School!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA