The Week in Review

This wasn't a bad week. In fact, it was pretty interesting and quite intriguing.

Music therapy sessions went well. I am in light schedule mode as I am organizing my last summer of individual sessions before the renovation. Next year, my plan for individual and small group sessions will be vanishing. There is a problem with being based in a closet that puts a crimp in doing individual therapy... anyway!

This week we explored songwriting lyrics. I am trying out a session series with my older kids who need lower levels of support to complete activities of daily living. Last week, we improvised a simple summer song. We talked about the rules of improvisation (there are none) and then started. Groups were receptive and did everything that I asked - without protesting! This week we completed a fill-in-the-blank song about preferences and non-preferences. The song, I Like, is one that I composed a long time ago, and it lends itself well to song and phrase completion. Once students had completed the eight blanks, they had the option of singing the song with guitar accompaniment or completing sentences that I sang. It always amazes me which kids will sing and which ones will refuse. They do not often sing with me - I think they don't want to interrupt me, even though I want them to sing all the time. They always look at me askance when I ask them to sing - like I can't possibly mean what I'm saying! So, I am always amazed when I hear kids follow melodic contours and replicate complicated melodic phrases with limited exposure.

I had what I initially thought of as a productive meeting with my supervisor. Now, based on some other things that have occurred, I am not so sure. Being an optimist, I am still hoping that the meeting was genuine and not just a way to placate and pacify me. The future will show me whether the meeting was a good thing or not.

I read from my library everyday (but yesterday...I've got to catch up this evening on that reading...come to think of it, I haven't had my special dessert for last week either. I guess cheesecake is in my direct and immediate future!). 

I got paid today! This is good, but not good enough. I have to find some more cash this month since both AMTA conference registration and car registration fees are due right now! I also have some emergency room bills to pay still. I guess I will be eating small amounts of inexpensive starchy foods for the next couple of months.

So, a mixed bag of things.

I am very glad that it is Friday. Tomorrow is Saturday!! Hooray!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA