Being an Introvert

Lately, I have been very much involved in the world of introverts. I have a friend who is a life coach specifically for introverts, several new communities of like-minded people, and an increased awareness of what it means to be introverted. It has been an interesting thing to contemplate.

I am an introvert. Every scale that I have completed has shown that I am as far on the introversion side of the scale as you can actually get. It is a bit of a relief to know that I am not alone out there in the world!

As I have been immersing myself in the world of introversion (it's a solitary journey, as we all prefer it!), I have found that many of the things that bother me and many of the things about me that bother other people are traits of the introverted tribe. It is completely normal for me to not want to go to social events, to get there and watch rather than jumping into social interaction with both feet, and to leave before the party really gets going. There are other people out there who feel the same way and act in the same manner. It's just that we are all at home rather than in the parties, so we can't find each other during stressful social events. There you go.

Whew! That's a relief!!

I am not abnormal as my high school youth group leader thought way back earlier. Ha, ha, Mrs. Haas! It is not abnormal to want to read a book instead of participating in raves! There is nothing wrong with me! (Can you tell that this still makes me upset, even almost 30 years after the fact?) 

One of the things that I have been thinking about in this entire situation is how I relate to my clients during music therapy sessions. I think I am good at being a music therapist because I am aware of the differences between introverts and extroverts. I know how an introvert may not want to engage in a Flash Mob. I know how an extrovert would not be as likely to sit and read a book when other people are around. I try to encourage each person in a group to participate in an authentic manner - the way they prefer to engage in music therapy.

So, as a therapist, it is my job to engage both introverts and extroverts in music therapy sessions. I have to allow my extroverted client to participate in large group Therapeutic Music Experiences (TMEs) where social interaction is expected and part of the fun. If they start to chafe under the stresses of TMEs that require solitary interaction and completion, I need to offer them opportunities to engage with others in a social setting. I also have to allow my introverted client to sit, watch, and choose when to engage in each TME. They need to know that opting not to participate is fine, but I need to make sure that their needs are addressed. If they don't want to play the cup game where they have to pay attention to all of the other kids in the group, I need to offer alternative TMEs that address the same goals as the initial TME. I may need to adapt the cup game to decrease the social expectations from all of the others in the group to one person. So, my job as a therapist is to offer TMEs that allow my clients to be authentic to themselves - always.

If you are an introvert, you may be interested in this Facebook site: The Introvert's Coach. It is the Facebook page of my friend and is dedicated to thinking about what it means to be an introvert in an extrovert-reinforcing world. Another Facebook site is Introverts Are Awesome. One last link: http://heyluchie.tumblr.com/post/53461087106/my-comic-introversion-is-finished-please-go-to  

I'm off to spend some time by myself, reading a book, and snuggling with my cat. The perfect way to get ready for a week full of social interaction. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA