Vacation...

This is a week of vacating all of my responsibilities. I enjoy weeks like this - times away from most of the responsibilities that I usually have during any and all weeks.

This vacation started like most of my others - with a long car trip. I drove through the Painted Desert and five states on my way to my final destination, Southern California and my family.
I've become very good at taking pictures out my car window while streaking down the Interstate. Here are some of the results...

Vacations are something that I didn't really think about before I started to work full-time. As I have become an experienced therapist, I am more and more appreciative of the opportunity to leave everything behind in an effort to relax and refresh.

It is important to leave things behind every once in a while. I do not do this easily. I spend much of my vacation time corresponding with music therapists from all over the world - I find it difficult to completely disconnect. I always find myself thinking that I should be writing a song or clearing out things in my home rather than simply enjoying a moment of relaxation. I have a book for writing down ideas for Therapeutic Music Experiences, so I can jot down ideas when they arrive. I cannot access social media easily, so I have to make lists about what to when I can access the computer. I try to keep myself in a relaxation mode, but it is becoming more and more difficult these days.

Why is it so difficult to leave things behind? Why is it difficult to relax?

The best thing for me is a period of time of enforced schedule changes. Right at this moment, I am far away from my home, I do not have all of the things that I need to complete any of my current projects, and I have nothing on my calendar for the next three days.

This is an unusual circumstance for me, and I feel a bit uncomfortable about the entire situation. What am I going to do to fill my time? Why didn't I bring my book to read by the pool? When will I get my laminating done for summer school? What can I do in the next five minutes that will enrich me as a person?

Whoa.

There are sometimes when you have to leave everything behind you. I am constantly challenged to do this very thing. I have to consciously tell myself to take things easy, not to brood about silly stuff, and just enjoy the relative peace and quiet.

This week has been a busy vacation. I drove out to California for my brother's wedding and am staying with my sister as my parents' house has been full of my nephew and, occasionally, my brother. We eat out lots (difficult for me due to digestive issues and strange food allergies), we stay up late, and we spend LOTS of time in the pool - the nephew is discovering the joys of swimming. When I get back to my house, I will need some vacation time to recover from my vacation.
 
Isn't that a funny thing?

By the way, this was one of the views from the wedding reception! Can you beat this for a vacation?
As an introvert, I often need to spend some time by myself to get refreshed. I do not get that time on vacations, and ESPECIALLY on this vacation. There has been limited time for me to simply sit quietly by myself and get bored. Boredom has really been a goal for me during my recent vacations - I want to get so tired of being by myself that I need to get back to work in order to be around other people. This vacation has not been that sort of vacation, so I will be happy to have another long car trip as well as four days to myself once I get back home. 


A break from my break...

Happy vacation, all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA