The Library Update: Week 2

This week, I found reading for a set amount of time per day to be a HUGE chore. Nevertheless, I persevered and got a second week of reading into my brain. 

This week's reading topics? Ethical Thinking in Music Therapy (Dileo), Music Therapy Reimbursement Best Practices and Procedures (Simpson and Burns), Models of Music Therapy Interventions in School Settings (Wilson), and Music Moments to Teach Academics (Nichols). I also spent some time in Music Therapy, Sensory Integration, and the Autistic Child (Berger).

My reading technique is based on an attempt to refresh and extend my knowledge of music therapy theory through reading the textbooks that I already have in my library. I grab a book off the shelf that interests me in the moment and read as much of it as I can. When I get tired of the topic, I switch to a different book. I have included my songbooks and "things to do" books into the category of "texts" when I need something a bit lighter than ethics or brain construction.

Some of my resources are dated (I purchased many of them before the current financial downturn), but they are still valid and are often relevant. The portions of the texts that are no longer relevant are very interesting to me from an historical point of view.

The most interesting topics from this week's foray into the library have been sensory integration and ethics. I was "raised" in a behavioral music therapy educational program and left that theoretical zone during my internship where I was immersed in sensory integration focused music therapy treatment. Reading the text by Berger functioned as a great reminder of that time - remembering that we are all sensory beings that have different ways to interpret the information that is perceived by our sensory systems. I appreciated the reminder that I should remember to consider all of the sensory systems whenever I interact with any person.

Week two (and a half) is finished. It is time for a special dessert (as a reward - I am still very much a behavioral therapist!).


References:
Berger, D. S. (2002). Music Therapy, Sensory Integration, and the Autistic Child. Jessica Kingsley Publishers: London.

Dileo, C. (2000). Ethical Thinking in Music Therapy. Jeffrey Books: Cherry Hill, NJ.

Nichols, K. L. (2001). Music Moments to Teach Academics. Tree Frog Publications/Kerri-Oke Publications: Lacey, WA.

Simpson, J. & Burns, D. (2004). Music Therapy Reimbursement Best Practices and Procedures. American Music Therapy Association: Silver Spring, MD

Wilson, B. L. (2002).  Models of Music Therapy Interventions in School Settings. American Music Therapy Association: Silver Spring, MD.

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA