It's A Small World After All...

I thoroughly enjoy getting to know music therapists from around the world. It is wonderful how social media has exponentially increased the amount of contact with people from all over the world. It is crazy to think that there used to be times when I felt like the only person in the world who believed in the power of music as a therapeutic modality. That is definitely no longer the case.

You know the game Six Degrees of Separation? You have to find a link between two seemingly unrelated people within six connections - some people call it the Kevin Bacon game. It is not difficult to do within the music therapy community and is becoming less difficult every day.

I "met" a new music therapist yesterday and had a nice conversation with her about being a music therapist as well as developing new ideas. We found two mutual friends within seconds and talked about a bunch of topics. It was fascinating to find out that we knew several of the same people and had probably passed each other many times during our years as therapists.

How strange to realize that we went from strangers to acquaintances due to something I wrote about on a Facebook group.

This year at the AMTA National Conference was the first time I felt like I was no longer a nameless face in the crowd. It interested me how many times people walked past me, did a double take, and came back to me saying something like, "How do I know you?" or "Are you Mary Jane?" I realized that these connections were 100% due to efforts to use social media more effectively to connect to other music therapists. 

So, thank you, social media, for increasing the number of connections that I have in the music therapy world. It is great to realize that, even though we are literally a half a world away, we all enjoy music and love using it with our clients in each of our exotic settings.

Thank you, friends, for being there!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA