Snow Week is Coming!

What is a "snow week" you may ask?

Well - remember all of those snow days where I spent the night at my facility and worked with a skeleton staff to provide services to the residential students? Now I get to reap the rewards of those days! I get to take some time off!

This is a strange situation, but it works for us, so I don't complain. I have three snow days left to use before the end of June. The original plan was to take days off when kids weren't in school (we have FOUR inservice days at the beginning of the summer session for goodness' sake!), but recent developments have changed that plan drastically.

Our school is long overdue for an update, and we are getting one. Construction may start as soon as July 1 and will last for 6-8 months. During that time, all of the classrooms will be relocated outside of the building. I thought my new music room would be safe, but sadly, no. It will be needed as a classroom during that time, so into a closet I go (along with the Art Therapist who is at least getting a remodeled room out of the deal - what are they going to do with mine? Diddly-squat!). I am not really complaining...  I mean, can you really complain when a temporary change is going to benefit everyone in the long run? No. It will be great thing for the facility, for the students, and finally, for the staff members.

One of the things that occurred to me when we finally started to talk about this move is that I have lots of stuff. Waaaaay to much for a closet, especially when sharing that space with the Art Therapist who also has lots of stuff! So, I am starting to think about what I absolutely HAVE to have for music therapy and what can be taken to my home to be stored during this displacement. This has been an interesting exercise as I have lots of stuff that I don't want to throw away, but that I really do not need on a daily basis.

That brings me back to snow week. I decided to take advantage of the last inservice day (this Friday) and last official day off (Monday) as well as my three reserved snow days to take another Spring Break. Hopefully this break will be sunnier and more healthy than my last break, and will encourage me to clean, clean, clean!

The first domino in this series is my home. I need to get rid of things that I am storing for no apparent reason. I need to consolidate other things, and just plain old clean everything. To do that, I need some time to immerse myself into the process, so I will be doing that. Keep an eye on the website, www.musictherapyworks.com - I may have some things there to sell or donate to the right folks... who knows?

Snow week is coming, and with it, the beginning of change...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA