Other Duties As Assigned...

Yesterday was a day filled with out-of-the-ordinary work tasks. We had the luau (our prom-alternative) followed by the first ever participation of my facility in another school's event. It was a VERY long day, but it was a good reminder for me about several things.

First, kids like to have fun. Staff members like to have fun. There need to be times when kids are the priority, not the fun of staff members.

Second, not everyone is like me in personality and demeanor. Others do not find it strange that kids are roaming around unsupervised while 17 staff members are cheering other staff members on in the bouncy house.

Third, we all have fun in different ways.

Fourth, extroverts are not always good at things like planning fun days or field trips. They have the idea and decide it will be so - leave it to the others to figure things out.

Fifth, blue food coloring stains hands.

Okay, rant over. (I think.)

I enjoy watching my clients engage in fun activities. I like watching them play, and I REALLY like to play with them in settings outside of the music room. I am reminded of the developmental importance of play and imagination when I see my clients who are often unable to initiate imaginative play.

The differences between my clients and typically developmental kids were evident last night when we went to the science fair at the K-2nd grade elementary school. My students were reading their projects in halting voices and the 2nd graders were prompting them. It was a good reminder that my students do have developmental delays and interruptions that significantly affect their education. Now, don't get me wrong, I know those facts on a cognitive basis, but it is good to be reminded in a practical manner from time to time.

I appreciate the opportunities to play that both the luau and science fair gave me last evening. Both of these events are outside of my regular duties, but were very good for me to gain some perspective about what and why I do what I do everyday.

Do you want to know about the water cycle? I can tell you LOTS about it after last evening!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA