Random Thoughts About Stuff

Being out of the music therapy clinic (and not by choice, but due to diverticulitis) for some time makes me realize how much I love the act of singing, dancing, and making music in the company of others! 

I have told you before about how I found music therapy at the University of Evansville in August 1984 (Wow, almost 29 years ago!!!). I am thrilled that I was paying attention on that day to that anonymous college professor who said, "There is something else here that's called 'Music Therapy.' Have a brochure." I heard an audible click in my head and that was it.

Once I decided that I was going to be a music therapist, I was ready.

The top things that I love about my job...
  1. The moment when a kid realizes that he or she is the one controlling the music
  2. Echoing strange and unusual sounds
  3. Finding new ways to make new sounds with old, familiar stuff
  4. Entire classes singing silly songs together
  5. The times when original songs pop into my head fully formed and completed
  6. The times when I relax into the improvisation and create something beautiful, meaning, and real for both my clients and myself
  7. The vibraslap
It is time for me to get out of this antibiotic-ridden, shrinking four walls that I call home, and get out into the bigger world.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA