Oh, The Things I Wish Someone Had Told Me...

Tonight, I am starting a new adventure - a webinar series for interns (and hopefully, interns ONLY). I am excited about using this tool as a way to interact with interns as they are moving into the last bit of their education and into the first bit of their professional lives.

I was led into this series through several of my life paths. The first, and most important to me, is my path as a National Roster internship director. (If you don't know what the National Roster is, don't worry - it's not important to this blog post - comment and I'll be happy to give you more information!!). Being an internship director to twenty wonderful women over the years has given me a perspective into what we do and do not know about being a music therapy intern. The second was my path as a volunteer for the American Music Therapy Association on the Association Internship Approval Committee (AIAC). The last path was my personal path as a music therapy intern. I would have LOVED to have a group to talk to about my internship - just to see if what I was experiencing was normal or not!

What do you wish someone had told you before, during, or after your internship??

Once I had an idea to use webinars as a form of group supervision for interns, I started to brainstorm about what could be addressed in this format. What are the things that we don't really learn about in school? What are the things that we need to know about being a new professional? My last question was, "What do I wish someone had told me about being an intern?"

That got my creative juices flowing.

This first webinar will focus on the rights and responsibilities of every music therapy intern. There is also a bit about what we are not guaranteed - for example, we do not have the right to a good supervisor. We'll also go over all of the documents of AMTA and focus on what we have to do as music therapists.

Other sessions will cover time management, organization, leadership, self-care, the therapeutic triad (my favorite topic!), and marketing - all things that I try to cover with my own interns and things that I had to learn for myself.

I hope that the people who have signed up (some who are not yet interns, some who started their internships within the past week, and some who are almost finished) will have as much fun as I intend to have.

Off to this new adventure... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA