The Last Day of the Year

So, here we are. The very last day of 2012. It's time for a bit of reflection and thoughts about what has happened this year.

January 2012
January brought a surge of creativity for me as well as intern #19! I posted quite a bit about changes to my website including the launch of the section about Therapeutic Music Experiences (TMEs).

February 2012
February found me involved in the 2nd Online Conference for Music Therapy, at home with bronchitis, and at the end of my January creative surge. I thought I would be able to start the CMTE process, but that did not happen financially.

March 2012
Manipulation and Mallets were the themes for March. I started my webinar series with a presentation about making mallets. The first webinar went fine...I have since changed the presentation format since the first format was little bitty, but it was an empowering feeling to be able to engage in online conferencing. For this, I have to thank John Lawrence, a music therapist from Canada who started the Online Conference for Music Therapy and who introduced me to this form of communication. I also welcomed intern #20 at the end of the month.

April 2012
The debate about music therapy's entry level Masters degree took over lots of my attention in April as did clients who did their best to injure me (and succeeded!). April was a challenge as I was not feeling like I was able to complete the tasks that I had set for myself. There also seemed to be a lack of creative impulses going on.

May 2012
I finally saw some changes in this month. A co-worker who had caused me LOTS of issues in the previous year (and who had contributed to my feelings of challenge in the early part of this year) was FIRED! I also had a break from work. This gave me lots of time to sit and think about topics like Supervision and Things I Love to Use in Music Therapy.

June 2012
The birth of the Happiness Initiative. I spent lots of time in the summer finding things that made me happy and attempting to find alternatives when things did not make me happy. I was able to find lots of things that made me feel happy, and I was able to work through the things that did not make me feel happy in a way that allowed me to figure them out!

July 2012
July found intense heat, cranky feelings (mostly from me!), and a quest to find happiness in small situations. Lots of things were changing around me, and this month was a challenge to my ideas of my role as a therapist at my facility.

August 2012
I celebrated 2800 views of the blog in the month of August. (Strange to think that I have gone from 2800 views to over 5000 views in just 4 short months!) I was thrilled that my little blog had been seen that many times. The happiness initiative continued.

September 2012
Aaah. Such a bad month for me. Patient readers were given a glimpse of my frustrations with my supervisor and with myself.

October 2012
In a word, CONFERENCE! Bella took over one of the posts, and there were lots of thoughts about the political process, debates, and my responsibilities as a citizen.

November 2012
The past month was challenging for many reasons. I feel like I have been targeted by my supervisor for inappropriate reasons, and I wrote about it. I also tried VERY hard to find the positive things going in my life rather than just wallowing in the negative. I found many things to be thankful for, especially my clients who allow me to interact with them using music as a medium.

That brings us to December 2012.
There wasn't much to be said for the first half of the month - continuing issues with my supervisor, looking for a new job, making difficult decisions about my future, and trying to continue to organize my living space. I have finished this year out at my parents' house and will be starting off 2013 heading back to my routine!

On this last day of 2012, I am happy to be leaving this year of challenge. I am hoping that 2013 will be a better year for me and for all of you!

Happy New Year!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA