Thankful Things

Over the past two weeks, I have enjoyed working with my kids around giving thanks for what we have in our lives. I have started a piggyback song to the tune of Soon It's Gonna Rain (from the musical The Fantasticks, Music by Harvey Schmidt, and lyrics by Tom Jones) which allows my kids to fill in their own thankful things.

Here is my current version...

I am thankful for my patient family.
I am thankful for Bella-cat as well.
I am thankful for the end of each workday too.

I am thankful for each student in my class.
I am thankful for making music.
I am thankful for the time we spend together too.

My students have made some very interesting statements about what they give thanks for this season. One person stated, "Barbies." Another stated, "Shelter." Yet another said, "God." Their written products are more involved and more positive about their current situation. 

As you probably know, my students attend a school contained within a center for persons with developmental and intellectual disabilities. The children's program is approximately 50% day students and 50% residents in a psychiatric residential treatment facility. The residents live at the facility full-time, away from their families. This is especially upsetting for them around the holidays. We have been able to address some of these concerns in our song this week.

I am thankful for many things in my life. For those things that I am currently finding challenging, I simply remember my clients - the things that they have already survived and the situations that they experience every day. I am reminded that there are many good things that happen on a regular basis - you just have to look for them sometimes.

I am thankful for the opportunity to indulge in a stream of consciousness on this blog. Thanks for reading!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA