Proactive

My last several posts have reflected some trying times in my life as a music therapist. They haven't been very musical in content or reflection. Since the title of this blog is "Music, therapy, and me," I feel justified in sometimes focusing on the "me" portion, but since this really is a music therapy blog, I think it's a good idea to get back to the therapeutic triad and focus on all three of the important elements of music therapy! 

Here goes!

If you have read any of my recent posts, you know that I am not happy with my supervisor. Unfortunately, this relationship colors most of my professional interactions with persons at my facility, but seems to have not diminished my interactions with my clients (I think...but, that is difficult to see as I am in the middle of the situation rather than being observed from the outside...hmm). I love my client interactions and enjoy every moment that I am engaged with a client - even when they are screaming or kicking!

This week, before the latest brou-ha-ha, I was sitting in the staff lounge. (I know, the staff lounge is not a good place to be - I stated that in an earlier post, but it was empty of everyone but me, so I thought it would be safe. Learned that lesson. Sigh.) Anyway, I was sitting on the sofa when one of our staff psychologists came in to warm up her bagel. She opened one of the microwaves, said, "Gross," slammed the microwave door, and used the other one. All I could think was, "If you find something gross, why don't you clean it up rather than leaving it to petrify?" That led to a song based around the theme of "Be a solution, not a problem." Look for it on my website, www.musictherapyworks.com, later. I'll post the sheet music and a Therapeutic Music Experience plan there at some point!

Be a solution, not a problem.

Ignoring an inappropriate supervisory relationship is not being proactive. It is denying that there is an issue.

Deciding that a microwave is "gross" and then walking away from it is not being proactive. It is denying that there is an issue.

Deciding that letting a child manipulate the behavior of others to get what he wants is not being proactive. It is denying that there is an issue.

Denying that there are problems with any aspect of the therapeutic relationship, with the musical information, with the client, or with the therapist him or herself does a huge disservice to all members of the therapeutic relationship. Problems have to be acknowledged, addressed, and prioritized in order to move into an appropriate therapy process.

When we are unable to be a solution, we compound the problem.

Be a solution, not a problem.

It is part of my responsibility, as a therapist, to assist my students in moving towards their therapeutic outcomes and goals. In order to do this, I have to be proactive rather than reactive. I have to develop experiences to help my clients identify the problems that they have in their lives and then others to help them address them. In order to do that, I have to model that behavior as well as assist them. How can I encourage my clients to be assertive members of their environments when I can't?

Be a solution, not a problem.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA