Hitting the Wall

Exhaustion.

It hit me hard last night and continued into this morning. The temperature was hot all night, and I didn't sleep well. Add in a dose of allergies, lots of deadlines, strange meetings, and good old-fashioned worry about a family member going through lots of mysterious health issues, and well, I hit the wall of exhaustion at 5am this morning.

I made the decision to take a personal day off from work.

I am constantly telling my interns (Hello, KP!) that self-care is crucial for any therapist, and I strongly believe that statement is true. Without being aware of our selves as therapists, we cannot be appropriate in assisting our clients towards their best selves. So, here is what I think...

Sick days are available for a reason - use them.

Make sure that you use vacation
days to vacate.

Take care of your self before you attempt
to take care of others.

There you go. I'm going back to bed with the idea of getting back into therapy tomorrow.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA