Shelter

I have been thinking about the concept of shelter for the past two days. This is due to the challenge for August from the website, The Sketchbook Challenge. The task is to represent an idea in your sketchbook in any way, shape, or form that you want. So, I have been thinking.

I am new to the idea of art journaling and sketching, but I am enjoying the task.

Anyway, back to the concept of shelter.

My friend, Tawnya, the art therapist at my facility, asks students to make a "safe room" representation during their sessions with her. They get to make the best place in the world - someplace that is safe and all their own. There are no rules to what has to be in the room - no rules about what is not allowed - no rules at all.

As a music therapist, I have never really thought about the concept of shelter, especially how it is interpreted by my clients. I have been pretty spoiled in my existence, but the contemplation of this topic is starting to challenge my place in the world, my family, and in my music therapy practice.

I have always wanted my music therapy space to be a safe place. In addition to physical safety, I have tried to foster an idea of emotional safety as well... a place where my clients can try new things, can express their ideas, can fail without being ridiculed. There are no wrong answers in music, there is just improvisation. I find shelter in that thought and try to express that to the children that I serve.

There is safety and security in following a routine, completing a cadence, in singing the same words to a familiar song.

There is, however, a thing as too much shelter. Being over cautious can be more debilitating than a disregard for safety. Living your life without trying new things is to experience only a portion of what the world offers us as human beings.

Music can introduce novelty - small bits at a time - focusing our attention on what is new and unexplained. Music therapy can be a place where small changes can be experienced and lived through without as much distress as other places. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA