Serendipity

You know how things just seem to be going along on one specific path, doing your job, and just minding your business? All of a sudden, there is something little that happens that changes your outlook, your plans, and your mind.

Serendipity is a funny thing. You can just move around your world minding your own business when something happens.

The something is not always a big thing - it may be just a little thing, but it is just enough to jog you from one path to another path. Part of looking for happiness means looking for those small things that can bring joy into your life. Today, I am planning to clean my bedroom carpet - the whole thing, clearing, vacuuming, and steam cleaning - and when I got ready, I happened upon new episodes of a television show that I really enjoy - 13 more episodes! Oh joy, oh rapture!!

So, at this point, I have several options. I can give up on my plan to clean my house, setting myself back on my vacation plans. I can pretend that there are no new episodes and just go to my plans. The plan I will probably take up will be the reward plan...a bit of work, an episode, a bit more work, and an episode. I will keep going until the work is finished, and then I can watch all the rest of the episodes!

The plan will allow me to have short amounts of rewards interspersed with longer periods of working.

Serendipity. Something unexpected that leads to something good. A happy accident.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/serendipity 

Hooray!! Off to watch the first episode and then WORK!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA