Satisfaction in a Job Well Done!

I am the proud owner of a website, www.musictherapyworks.com, which has never really made it off the ground - at least, not in the way that I hope it will. I have owned the site since 1996, probably longer than some of you have been alive (sigh), but have never really found my way into the business side of things. That is starting to change.

In April, I started offering webinars to music therapists through my website and various social media sites. I started demonstrating how to make mallets. Five people signed up and three were there on the night of the webinar. Two stayed for the entire presentation.

In May, I talked to an audience of eight or nine music therapy-type people about composing songs in ways to get us out of creative blocks when they occur (and they do). We continued the conversation in June with a talk about approaching our goals and objectives with clients from a different perspective than we were taught in our schooling.

The webinar in July was supposed to be an opportunity for therapists to share and exchange ideas in a TME swap shop. It ended up being me sharing my ideas to about 20 music therapists and therapy students, but others expressed interest in being presenters the next time around! Success!!

I am enjoying the sense of community that has resulted from the interaction that I have had with therapists from around the world. It is often easy to feel isolated in my professional setting where I am the only music therapist who actually does music therapy in the facility (in reality, there are three other music therapists who work at the facility, but they do not do music therapy as the primary part of their jobs). I feel that it is important for us, as music therapists, to interact with others from places near and far away.

This month's webinar is going to be a discussion about how to make the best use of the space we are given. Next month, another TME swap shop.

Man, I really need to figure out a way to charge for these things...

Comments

  1. Congratulations on all you've accomplished thus far, Mary Jane. I've heard good things about your webinars! Seems like you're really helping a lot of music therapists. Great job-

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA