Lessons on Therapy that I Learned from My Cat

So, BIG SURPRISE! I am a cat person. 

I am sure that that fact isn't much of a big reveal to many of you, but in the interest of full disclosure, I thought I would use my pet to introduce several lessons about therapy that she has taught me over the past 6 years. Since it is time, as well, for my annual goal setting exercise, I will just combine the two.

Baby Bella on the first day at her new home.
Lesson One: Sometimes the best way to relate is to get comfortable. Lie down on the floor if that is what is needed. Sit on the floor, recline in the recliner. If your body is comfortable, you may be able to address uncomfortable topics better. 

Goal One: Interact with clients where they are rather than where I think they should be.


Lesson Two: Be curious. Ask questions. Keep asking questions until you get to the right question. Try new things - go into them cautiously, but try them anyway.

Goal Two: Deny no opportunities when they arrive.

Lesson Three: Rest when you need it. There is nothing more calm than a sleeping cat. Since they spend most of the time sleeping, this lesson is an easy one to glean. A tired therapist is a less-therapeutic therapist. Get sleep when you can. Go on vacation. Spend time away from being a therapist. Relax.

Goal Three: Make sure that there are periods of time each day for relaxation.
Lesson Four: Do your chores when you need to do them - don't put them off. Cats spend a bunch of the time that they are not sleeping in grooming activities. They clean themselves all the time.

Goal Four: Keep up with chores in the clinical space. Do cleaning tasks, documentation, and other administrative tasks as they arrive rather than putting them off.
 Lesson Five: Trust your instincts. If you feel a specific way about a person or situation, listen to your feelings. My cat tends to be suspicious of me, especially when I am stalking her with the camera. I love this picture - it shows that my cat keeps an eye on me, even when she is trying to sleep.

Goal Five: Speak up when situations are not appropriate. 


Thank you for indulging my cat obsession as well as my goals for the new school year. See you soon!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA