Going Back

Today was the first day of the fall semester at my facility. It was a work day interrupted by waiting to sign up for health benefits and behavior management training. Once my two tasks were finished, I didn't do much more with my day. I reviewed the 105 emails that had accrued in my inbox, made a list of kids who were leaving and another list of kids arriving. I spent some time talking to my friend, the Art Therapist, about schedules, our break, and various and sundry other things, and I took down the summer school entry bulletin board.

The rest of the time was spent sitting in my music room wondering what I should be doing.

I didn't do much - just enjoyed being in my space, by myself.

My intern was not present as she was originally going to the intern of my recent graduate. I had already taken an inventory of all of the materials in the music room (thanks to the help of my interns). The senior intern's desk was clear and ready to use as storage. My desk was relatively clear, so there was really not much to do other than to just sit and enjoy the relative calm until kids arrive.

I love my job. I enjoy being a music therapist who works in a school setting. I love working with children and adolescents with developmental and psychiatric disorders. I look forward to each and every session with anticipation, and I try to keep that enthusiasm for all aspects of my job. Sometimes, I am successful - other times, I am not.

My happiness initiative will be a focus of my year. I am still retraining my amygdala to go towards positive thinking rather than negative thoughts. I will keep thinking about what makes me happy...

Children laughing when the monkey puppet is bad.

Making sounds we've never made before.

Games where my kids beat me horribly!

The Orff instruments - all 16 of them!!!!

Watching my intern turn from student to therapist.

Plenty of time to finish my documentation.

Singing, playing the guitar, and playing the piano.

Happy first day of school, everyone!!

You are one of my happy thoughts! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA