The Importance of Music for Music's Sake

Tonight I get to go to our local amphitheater to watch the musical, Memphis. I love my season tickets - a commitment I make to myself every summer. My summer evenings sitting under the stars, listening to musicals, and being an audience member are treats.

It is important for me (and I would think, for other music therapists) to have opportunities to participate in music making or music performances where I am not actively using music for a therapeutic purpose. Being an audience member allows me to simply immerse myself in the experience rather than attempt to adapt the music to affect behavior.

Since music is such a big part of my life as a music therapist, it makes sense that it is something that I find enjoyable. Yet, I cannot use music to assist me in concentrating. I need talk to help me concentrate. I use music for aesthetic purposes and for professional purposes in my own life.

I am going to take some time this evening to sit and simply marvel in the fact that musicians exist.

Thank you, all!!

Comments

  1. I say hooray for live music, MJ! I went last night to a local music festival and heard three amazing musicians. I got home late, and I was dull as hell all day today, but it was a great concert! I think it's important to let someone else take care of us musically once in a while. Hope you enjoyed the musical.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA