Never Underestimate the Power of Chocolate

The only promise that I make for my interns is, "There will always be chocolate." I cannot promise that I will always be the most effective supervisor, that my attitude will always be positive, or that I will be able to be a good example of a music therapist all the time. I can, however, always promise that chocolate is available when it is needed.

Darth M stands watch over my stash!
My love affair with chocolate started when I was just a small child. My mother potty-trained me with the use of M&Ms. One use of the toilet = one M&M. She used to watch me when I was not aware and states that I only took one M&M after I was finished each and every time. That love affair has just continued as I have become older.

I have started a personal reinforcement schedule involving housework and chocolate. Each morning I establish a task that needs to be completed. At the end of the day, if I have completed my task, I get some chocolate. If not, no chocolate.

My kitchen floor is now sparking clean.

The office should be cleaned and vacuumed by the end of this morning.

The trick to being a good therapist is finding everyone's "Chocolate" - that thing that spurs them on to accomplish their goals and objectives. For some of my clients, the drum set is the most reinforcing thing I can offer. For others, complete control of the stereo's remote control. For yet others, playing with some of my manipulatives is the most reinforcing thing that they can do in the music therapy session.

Once you have found that "chocolate," the key is to use it judiciously. Make that reinforcement contingent upon the desired behavior. Time to exercise some self-control, clean the office, and then get some CHOCOLATE!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA