The Happiness Initiative - Week Two

My happiness initiative was sorely tested this past week. My brother continues to struggle with his health, his fiance called off their relationship, and he found out that his job is in jeopardy due to his health situation. My entire family is struggling with this situation. In addition, I had a bout with colitis that kept me bedridden for two days. When I went back to work, I found that my paperwork, meeting schedule, and other elements of work have now changed significantly - all decisions made by people who do not have a clue about who I am or what I do.

Sigh.

I am trying to figure out where the happiness is in all of these situations. I am able to find it in my own situations, but the ones with my brother and work are not as easy.

Still, I made a promise to myself to focus on happiness this summer, and I am going to.

I am hoping that my brother will take an opportunity to figure out his life. Unfortunately, as his older sister and a therapist, I want to swoop in and fix what is wrong. Based on past history, that will not be the way to proceed. He has to initiate his own recovery from difficult situations. There is no amount of discussion, assistance, or advice that I can offer that will be helpful. I will wait here until he reaches out to me, sending thoughts of peace his way.

At work, I am going to try to work within the system to change things in a meaningful way rather than just blindly accepting change for change's sake. We have a new vice-prinicipal, the best friend of the principal, who seems bent on making everything at our school the same as the way they did things at her old school. We have extra meetings, more paperwork, and other things happening so she can feel comfortable in her new location. While I do not agree that we should have to change our school atmosphere to make her feel at home, I can understand why she wants some familiarity around her. One of the things that tends to happen with new administrators is the same as what happens with new interns - an overfocus on self rather than on the people being served.

Happiness ideas for next week:
  • three day weekends are wonderful!
  • My Senior intern has only 20 more days - not many more senioritis moments left!
  • My Junior intern is starting to understand things and demonstrate that understanding in her work with clients
  • I have groceries in my pantry again
  • my cat is healthy and a convenient example when I want to take a nap
  • there is chocolate in the music therapy cabinet!
Be happy, friends!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA