Journaling

A couple of the skills included in the AMTA Professional Competencies are to: 
  • 22.7     Express thoughts and personal feelings in a consistently constructive manner.
  • 22.8     Demonstrate critical self-awareness of strengths and weaknesses. 
As an internship director, I require that my interns keep a personal journal to assist them with these two competencies. I was required to keep a journal. I am sure that my ID had to keep a journal during her internship, and I am sure that the tradition can be traced back to the first internship director in the first music therapy internship program way way back. Journaling has been a way for us to express our thoughts and self-awareness since time began (for MTs, anyway). 

This year, I started a formal journal along with the acceptance of the first intern after about six months of just being the therapist at my facility.  I made several "rules" for my journaling process, primarily because I like structure. The rules are simple. I open the journal to the first blank page and place the date on the page. After that, anything goes!

Most of my own journaling includes words that just flow over the page in what may appear as a disorganized mess. I prefer phrases, word art, and small sketches rather than complete sentences. (I save most of the sentences for this blog, believe it or not!!) My pages are often cluttered, colorful, and crammed full of comments that lead me to remembering my state of mind and circumstances surrounding my entries. It is interesting how this journal, more than any of my other attempts, has been more meaningful to me as a tool for critical self-awareness than any of my more traditional attempts. I just had to find what worked for me.

I think that finding what works best for each of us is one of the most important aspects of professional development. I have had to try many things to find my own way - not just in journaling, but in music therapy, clinical training, and other situations. It is important to find your own way of doing things - journaling, clinical supervision, blogging, talking to peers, and any other technique on the path to critical self-awareness and expressing thoughts and feelings in a constructive manner.

Just an aside...

This weekend, I made a journal from scratch. I had all of the materials, so I put it together, let it dry, and then checked to see if it worked. It did!

Here it is! As you can see, my Star Wars obsession is represented nicely through the wrapping paper cover, and I can state with certainty that most music therapists DO NOT carry a journal like this around with them! The process of putting together this book was joy filled, and using it will be a pleasure as well.


Another step on my journey towards critical self-awareness in my professional life. See you along the way!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA