Intuition Wins Out Again

Several months ago, I spent lots of time talking about professionalism. My posts on Sept. 23, Oct. 30, Nov. 6, and Dec. 23, 2011 were all centered around my relationship with a difficult co-worker, one who attempted to bully me and who was not an appropriate teammate at all.

That co-worker was fired on Friday.

As I have been thinking about the past 10 months and the utter lack of professionalism that has led me to my various rants, all I can think now is, "I knew it!"

I get strong feelings about some people at times. When I have such a visceral reaction to a person, I try to figure out why I am responding so strongly. Past encounters have demonstrated that my intuition is a good indication of who to spend time with and who to avoid. Unfortunately, a creepy feeling about a person is not enough to convince others about possibilities.

That intuition is a good thing as a therapist - a lousy thing as a co-worker. As a therapist, intuition assists me in figuring out how to approach a client musically. It helps me evaluate and assess how the music is interacting within the therapeutic triad (of the client, music, and myself as the therapist). It also allows me to look at a large group of kids and choose music that, generally, affects their collective behavior and shifts said behavior to another state with limited need for any behavior management technique other than the music. 

As a co-worker, I really can't go to my supervisor and say that a person needs to be fired because "I have a bad feeling about that guy." It doesn't work that way in real life.

I trust my instincts and my intuition. Years of being shown that my initial feelings are often the best indication of a true situation has shown me that I need to listen to those little feelings, whispers, and tickles and avoid those people when necessary.

Listen to those small, still voices. They are often correct.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA