Give a Kid a Microphone...

On Friday, I coordinated our annual school Talent Show. This event is an easy one to run - students sign up to present talents, and I provide the materials. It is always an interesting afternoon, and this year's show was no exception!

One of the things that has always fascinated me about my students is that most of them have no fear of performing. It is rare that I find a kid who has stage fright. Give 'em a microphone, and their inner hams come out to play. The audience of 100+ people doesn't give them pause. They don't always know the words to the song or the chords to their piece, but they go on, soaking up the attention and the applause.

This year's performers included an 8-year old playing the drum set, one young man doing crunches, another shooting baskets, and a duet singing the Oompa Loompa  song from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. There was a flash mob, several singers, and a surprise rap by a young man with autism who does not always participate in music experiences.

It was a great afternoon, and I think that all involved were happy about how the students performed.

I hope that you get to see such performance moments with your clients. Those times when making music or sharing a different talent wakens a part of your clients that otherwise lays dormant.






(Just so you know, I went home and collapsed for the rest of the weekend!)
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA