Strange Things are Happening to Me

I have always loved the song from Toy Story when Woody notices that things are changing around him. He is happy with the status quo and cannot really seem to understand that change leads to growth. I am in the midst of lots of changing situations right now, and this song seems to be the best descriptor of what is going on.

I beg your indulgence as I elaborate.

For me, personally, my changes are not earth shattering but there nonetheless. I am getting ready to host my first webinar on Thursday. I am getting more proactive at work, and I am getting ready to add another intern to my music therapy clinic. These changes are not large, but they change everything in my world pretty significantly. There are other things happening right now for me as well.

The culture of music therapy as a health profession is changing. This past year brought several examples of music therapy in the media, increasing our visibility in both the public eye and in the health care industry. Music therapy is starting to be a household name. This is a good thing.

As the profession is getting more well-known, we, as a profession, are on the brink of some major decisions. I am on the AMTA Education and Training Advisory Board (also known as ETAB). Over the past two years, we have been discussing, debating, researching, and writing about the concept of a change in the entry-level to the profession of music therapy.

ETAB has written two papers recommending a change from an entry into the profession after completing a Bachelor's degree to a Master's level entry. These papers have started a discussion that will continue throughout March and April with members of ETAB attending all regional conferences to collect questions and comments.

This change is a big one for the profession. I bet there are lots of therapists out there who feel like things are out of their control with this proposal. That is one of the reasons that ETAB folks are going to meetings. We want to talk about this and about the history of this conversation to the people who need to know.


I am a bit nervous about going to regional conferences to talk about this process. I hope that we, as a group, will be able to calmly discuss this issue and come to a decision. See some of you soon!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA