Improvisation

I enjoy improvisation with my clients. My attitude towards improvisation was not always positive but was extremely negative while I was a teenager. My jazz band director always expected us to improvise. As soon as it was my turn, my mind, usually full of notes, scales, and modes, would turn to absolute mush!!

I had an improvisation block for many, MANY years.

My turning point was during my internship. My very wise Internship Director, Sheryl Kelly, at the Center for Neurodevelopmental Studies in Phoenix, AZ, stated that improvisation was merely reflecting the behaviors of my clients in my musical interactions.

Simple as that, I was no longer blocked when it came to improvisation.

Today's improvisation came in the form of a serendipitous happenstance. I had a group of teenagers with diagnoses on the intellectual and psychiatric spectra who have varying levels of communication skill as well as varying levels of involvement. I had taken out my Five Senses visual aids - simple cards with sense organ drawings. I had completed most of what I had on my session strategy and was at a loss about what to do next.

I placed the cards on the floor where everyone could see them easily and started to sing a simple song. 

"When we see we use our eyes, use our eyes, use our eyes. When we see, we use our eyes. That is how we see."

This simple improvised song turned into a lyric completion experience, a game where one student picked a card and started the song. The other students then had to complete the sentence. This group of students sang along with me and engaged with each other without difficulty. I hope I remember the song tomorrow when I have some time to set it down on paper...

I encourage you to throw yourself into the music making that happens in your sessions. Change things around, try different timbres, instrumentations, and modes in your improvisation. Revel in the moment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA