Community...again!

Every time I spend some time around other music therapists, I recognize the importance of being part of a community of like-minded professionals. So... I tend to write about it during and after the conference.

I am currently attending the Southwestern regional conference of the American Music Therapy Association. Now, I do not live in this region, but I know lots of folks here, thanks to my conference roommate, Christine. Now, the Texans are a pretty tight-knit group, but they have always been very welcoming to me. I have a bit of an "in" since I was born in the great state of Texas, but left in the midst of my childhood.

I digress. Sorry.

Anyway, I started this discussion thinking about the importance of community and will get back to that topic right now.

I sat in two sessions today focusing on the development of students as they move from one area of professional interaction to another. I enjoyed the presentations as both were focused on children and adolescents with developmental disabilities (my population of choice) and how to increase the variety of things that we can do with our clients. It was wonderful to hear presentations from experienced professionals about the same things that I struggle and exalt with during my day as a therapist.

 My sense of community increased as I was greeted by music therapists that I know from many different settings and situations... the online conference for music therapy, the Association Internship Approval Committee, presentations over the years. I got hugged. I laughed with friends, old and new. If I had to do some work-related things over Spring Break, the conference for the Southwestern region of the American Music Therapy Association was a great place to start!

I encourage you to find your community within the larger profession of music therapy. Link to your community as much as you can. Use your social media but also remember to interact face-to-face as much as possible.


Connect.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA