An Anniversary... of sorts.

Yesterday I welcomed my new intern into the music therapy program. I started counting up interns and discovered that this one is #20! Therefore, I am going to count this as an anniversary!

I, as a part of this anniversary and new intern thing, have been thinking about the interns that have been at my facility over the past 13 years. They have been the source of great joy, frustration, and challenge over the years. I enjoy this aspect of my clinical life, and I hope to continue over the years as an Internship Director (ID).

10 Things I Have Learned About Being an ID
  • Being an ID is always interesting.
  • There will be days when you are thrilled about your intern's growth and competence.
  • Sometimes an intern has to be "deserted" in order to grow as a therapist.
  • Interns are creative people, offering great ideas to your setting. Remember to give them credit for their work.
  • There will be times when your intern challenges your own clinical skill development. This is good. 
  • There will be days when you do not want to be the supervisor.
  • Even the most challenging intern will offer good learning opportunities for you - what to do, what not to do, how to keep your professional attitude, and how to screen potential applicants more carefully next time!
  • Misunderstandings happen. Apologize if you are wrong. Stand firm if you are not wrong.
  • Use your internship agreement very carefully.
  • Take a break if you need to get away from the job of the internship director. There are times when I just need to be "therapist" rather than "supervisor."
I would like to thank the 20 young women who have agreed to be an intern at my facility since 1999. They have taught me so much about being an ID, about being a teacher, and about being a therapist. Each intern has challenged my competence in vastly different ways. I can honestly say that I have enjoyed each experience and each person. 

I have learned so much from you all.


Thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA