Community

It is important to be a part of a community.

This weekend, I spent time involved in the second annual Online Conference for Music Therapy. I was part of this conference last year and decided to continue this year as treasurer and a member of the organizing committee. The reason I enjoy being a part of this group is the sense of international community in music therapy.

The last 36 hours have been spent sitting on my stool in front of a community of music therapists from around the world. With webcams, microphones, and high-speed internet services, you can communicate in real time with real people and get insights into music therapy that you have never considered before.

I was reminded about how much I feel alone as a music therapist at times. At work, I am unique (except for interns who enrich and renew my music therapy community). I work at a church as a music director - most of the people there do not even realize that I have another job that pays the bills. When I start to describe what I do, most folks seem to stop listening when I say that I use music to help people reach their goals.

It was tremendous to sit and listen to therapists that I really respect and revere talk about how they struggle with some of the same issues that I struggle with. 

Community. It makes a big difference.

Comments

  1. It is wonderful to have that on-line support. This was a great weekend of learning and enriching for those of us able to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, JoAnn. It was wonderful to "see" you this weekend. - mj

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA