January Inspirations

This month has been a challenge. Hence my absence from the blogosphere for several weeks. I have been full of good intentions and have had fleeting thoughts about what to write, but have not been actually able to sit down and accomplish anything yet. This is the day that I break through that wall.

Our January has been unseasonably warm with only a little bit of snow and cold weather. Typically we use winter and snow as our themes for the interdisciplinary groups that I contribute to at work, but there really hasn't been much impetus to use our usual session plans.

So, we have had to develop new themes. On Friday, we had an ocean theme. We played games, a large version of Go Fish, and had an ocean drum relaxation experience at the end. Now, I was initially hesitant to lead relaxation experiences with my students - they do not usually relax easily - but it worked very well. I started by asking the students to find a comfortable place on the floor. They were ready to relax since we had spent 45 minutes running and playing games. I started my favorite relaxation CD, On A Starry Night, a collection of lullabies from around the world. I gave my fellow staff members ocean drums, and I used the ocean drum and went through a relaxation experience focusing on breath and watching the beads in the ocean drums. Kids were able to lie down, sit quietly, or sleep. They did very well and left the gym quietly. It was a good day.

My new year has also been ripe with creativity. I have been composing songs for my therapeutic experiences. The music has flowed. This happens to me occasionally - the songs do not have to be sought out, they find me. These creative spikes are wonderful. I enjoy them and take advantage of the flowing music as long as it lasts.

I also have a new intern. Of all the things that have inspired me during this month so far, the challenges and promise of a new intern is the most powerful. I spend lots of time evaluating myself by thinking about how I am appearing to my intern. I think that being a model for novice therapists is one of the most challenging and rewarding professional activities that I have ever been involved in.

What is inspiring you? Is there a specific song that helps you feel primed and ready to go? Is there a technique that you use with your clients that helps you to be a creative person as well as a therapist?

I am going to try to keep my inspiration going. Check out the website www.musictherapyworks.com for therapeutic music experiences designed for children and adolescents with developmental and psychiatric diagnoses.

Happy 2012! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA