Ouch

Yesterday, I was knocked over by a student who was angry. I landed on my bottom hard, but didn't seem to be hurt other than just knocked around a bit. As the day progressed, however, my right Achilles tendon started to ache. I limped around the music room for the rest of the day and then limped to church and choir rehearsal.

When I got to my home and took off my shoe, I found a large bruise on my right ankle wrapping around to the back of my foot - there was a reason why my tendon was aching so much! I took today off from work to do the prescribed process - RICE - rest, ice, compression, and elevation - as well as some arthritis medication to help alleviate the pain of my fall.

This incident was a good reminder that I am not:
  1. as young as I used to be,
  2. listening to what my clients are trying to tell me as well as I could, and
  3. able to do everything.
I fully believe that we are led to what we need to hear or realize when it is appropriate. I needed to remember that I have limitations, and my clients were able to remind me of those limitations very well this week.

There is a pattern of behavior in school settings in the period of October 31st through January 1st every year. Children escalate in mood, in energy, and in noncompliance. At the same time, teachers experiencing a decrease in energy, in time available to do things, and in patience. I, as a therapist, am often in the teacher camp at this time of year. I also have the additional stressors common to all musicians at holiday time - performances, celebrations of the season, gigs, programs, etc.

My students are good at reminding me that they need consistency and routine more at this time of year than at any other time.

Being knocked down by a VERY large 14 year old boy is a good reminder that I need to step away from the stressors and just focus on providing my students with music therapy sessions that assist them in dealing with the stresses of the season on their lives.

So, after I finish my physical healing from the very jarring reminder that I was not doing a good job at my job, I will head back to the music therapy room to focus on my clients and their needs.

Thanks, kid - but next time, could you just use your words?? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA