Musings...

Music is an essential part of life. It is interesting how every culture in the world has developed musical expression to express emotions - love, frustration, anger, courage, pride, sadness, mourning. It also fascinates me that the same music does not necessarily translate meaning to other people. If I write a song to convey a specific message, other people may not understand unless I can explain it. On the other hand, other people may understand what I am trying to communicate. They filter the music through their own life experiences. My love for Finlandia by Sibelius is completely based on my life experiences and the places that I am and have been in my life.

The power of extramusical associations is not to be underestimated. My memories can be triggered by song at any time at any place. You're the Inspiration by Chicago takes me back to high school crushes. Rhinestone Cowboy by Glenn Campbell is from my little kid days in Texas. The Phantom of the Opera by Andrew Lloyd Webber shoots me back to Hashinger Hall in college and singing loudly in my dorm room.

This tool that we use in our everyday life, music, gives us so many options, experiences, and avenues for assisting our clients in finding their paths towards their goals. I spend so much time using the elements of music as a tool that I sometimes forget to listen to the music that is around me.

Right now, as I am sitting here blogging in my home, I am watching a television series that is using music to illustrate an emotional point. The music is not of really good quality - the singer is a bit whiny and quite annoying - but it tells a story. As the story has progressed, the singer has become less whiny (or I am accustomed to it) and less prominent in the show.

There has been a discussion on the edges of the music therapy listserve lately about the quality of music presented in music therapy sessions. Folks have been asking and discussing whether it is important that music therapists provide high quality musical experiences for their clients. Should music therapists be able to sing in tune? Definitely. Should music therapists know the chords that are in their songs? Of course. Should music therapists be able to play by ear. If not, what they are doing as therapists? Should music therapists sound like someone else? Not at all. I do not feel that my musical interactions are not valid if I do not sing a Britney Spears song like Britney Spears. My interactions are more valuable when I am authentic to myself and to the therapeutic relationship.

Aaah, the musings of a music therapist who has had too much time to think this weekend. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA