Historical Figures

This last week I found myself in the unique situation of being 6 miles away from the sitting President of the United States. He made a speech in a small Kansas town just a short way away from my work. I was unable to go since I had to be at work and didn't have an entire weekend to stand in line for tickets, but this started me thinking about history.

The second event that occurred this week was the passing of Clive Robbins, music therapy historical figure. Dr. Robbins was an awe-inspiring figure in our profession, but he was also a quintessential therapist - gentle, concerned, and caring of others.

My most thrilling and personal interaction with Dr. Robbins occurred in San Diego, CA in 2009. I was standing in a dark corner of the gathering area presenting file folder experiences in the Clinical Practice Forum. There were lots of people walking around, unfortunately not music therapists but participants in a gymnastics competition - ugh. 

So, there I was, standing next to my homemade display of information and projects, when Clive Robbins walks past, stops, and returns to look at my composition folders, my homemade games, and my stated objectives. He stopped and chatted with me for a time about the use of visuals and games to engage kids in music therapy treatment. He stated that he and his wife, Carol, had developed ideas similar to what I was presenting.

That 7 minutes of my life was so much more than just a conversation with a person. 

Those 7 minutes provided me with a chance to meet a man who I revered.

Those 7 minutes made me feel like a peer.

Thank you, Dr. Robbins, for your influence on my profession, for your continued search for the music child in all of us, and for your caring for a fellow therapist. I will miss you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sing A Song Sunday - The Time Change Song (Fall)

Being An Internship Director: Why I Do Very Little Active Recruitment

Dear AMTA